Friday 17 August 2012

Did my daddy and grandparents really eat these? Yung Kee

Sweet Sweet Boyfriend say new menu at Yung Kee feature Canton food from 60s-70s.  I say it before my time and so "old cake" but Sweet Sweet Boyfriend say go try because Taiwan Foody Cousin is visiting Hong Kong.  Taiwan Foody Cousin will like that type of food.  He call Lawyer Foody Woman and Chef Foody Man (who has very professional looking waterproof backpack. He said Louis Vuitton makes one using same material.  I should get for my new Galaxy IIIS so I look like professional photographer with my phone with flash!) too.   Why no Kee Club where all famous people go party?   Right next door and much hip and chic people :(



We got there and I say "No way I sit Ground Floor!  So no grand!"  The woman waitress say "Mr Sweet's reservation for 5 is on the fourth floor.  This way please." I still no like it because they no give stool for handbags.  No wonder they no get 3 Michilin stars.  If they really do business for VIPs, how come they no have stool!?  Maybe those old VIPs don't take handbag and just keep everything in the Alphard for driver to look after.  I look at Sweet Sweet Boyfriend and wonder when he get me an Alphard with a driver.  I no like him driving me around in his small sports car.  No very grand.  I cannot watch TV in his car.


The first thing come was Thousand Year Old Egg with pickled ginger.  It is nice soft yolk and very jelly like white (but it is brown now!  Why?!?)  but I cannot say I like it because on TV show like Fear Factor, they use Thousand Year Old Egg as... the Fear Factor! I am grand and cannot say I like.  Have to be like most English speaking people.  I no understand why HK people eat the egg with ginger and sugar. At home we eat with soy sauce, sesame oil, scallion and tofu.  Sweet Sweet Boyfriend say that South China people vs North China people taste.



We had one order deep fried wonton with sweet and sour sauce.  The waitress say "Our wontons are the old style ones with lots of crispy skin"  I look at it and I say "So cheap, why no big ball like Tsim Chai Kee wonton?  Bigger the grander!"  They all look at me and roll eyes.  Sigh!  They call themselves foody people but they no know what good food is.  Let me tell you people, good wonton have big shrimp in it.  No pork fat (so no fat die me) and really big.   The sauce ok no too thick.  How come no bell pepper?   The wonton no very small but no puddle of oil on plate so I think it passed.



We had winter melon soup next.  They so messy to put meat on the melon.  Should be in soup.  There another winter melon soup on menu but we order clear one.  These foody people talk consomme and soup.  I no understand what they talk about.  Soup is soup is soup.  Why all different type?




Sweet Sweet boyfriend probably think I need diet because he pre-order a pork dish.  So much fat on top and all these foody people ate the whole thing. I say how can I eat it?  So fat die me but they say fat is best part.  I took one bite and it is no bad.  No greasy but more jelly and smokey.

We also pre-order goose feet web dish.  They have liver, meat wrap inside like a chessboard but the manager say we no order.  Sweet Sweet Boyfriend and Taiwan Foody Cousin were upset.  Taiwan Foody Cousin say he come all way to Hong Kong to Yung Kee to eat that but they say they no have it after we pre-order day before!?!  The manager no say sorry just keep saying no have in kitchen.  I was happy because I no need to eat goose feet web.  I am foody woman now but think of how they take bones out... People say all chicken feet and goose feet, old women sit around and put in mouth to get bones out.  Sweet Sweet Boyfriend so upset he go downstairs to outside the restaurant to check if they have goose feet on display.  They think some VIP upstairs took our order



To finish lunch, we order noodle with goose fat.   So small and only little goose fat on bottom.  I think it is good but noodle with lard and shrimp roe in Yuen Long is bigger. 


Because no goose feet web, another manager give us egg tart and black sesame dough ball.  The pie crust is no like Tai Cheong egg tart or Kam Fung egg tart.  More like Tai Cheong maybe. I want stay size 2 and no eat egg tart long time but I like flaky Kam Fung one.  This is mini egg tart version so I had 1/3 of the tart.  Size 2 very important or I look fat in Central.



The black sesame dough ball ok.  Not too sweet.  I was so full but I like black sesame. Good for skin and hair, you know?  I check time and it 2:30pm. I can eat carb no problem. 

Lunch ok good.  Think they should have stool and make sure they have reception who know how to take order properly. I no want see Sweet Sweet Boyfriend and Taiwan Foody Cousin get upset again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment